Friday, 16 May 2014

Other Halves by Nick Alexander

About the book...
Hannah and Cliff’s marriage is over. After a traumatic family holiday, Cliff’s lies have been exposed and Hannah has been reunited with her lost love, Cliff’s brother, James. But after fifteen years together, and forever bound by love for their eleven-year-old son, Luke, breaking free and starting again seems impossible.

A new life in Australia with James beckons for Hannah – but can she embark on this adventure without losing the love of her son? And can Cliff finally face up to issues he has suppressed since adolescence and find happiness in a confusing world?

Amid the turmoil of separation, and with Luke caught in the crossfire, both Hannah and Cliff face the challenge of rebuilding their lives. To make the other halves of their lives count, they need courage and determination. But perhaps it’s more than they possess . . .

About the author...

I grew up in the seaside town of Margate England with four brothers including three on the web: Matthew AlexanderGreg AlexanderSteven Alexander who are all painters as was our father, Chris.

On leaving Margate, I moved to the Midlands and then Cambridge. In 1991, in need of adventure, I headed off with a backpack finally settling in Nice France where with the exception of a brief, exciting stint in New York, I have lived ever since.
After being refused by truly every publisher in the world, I self-published my first novel 50 Reasons to Say Goodbye in 2003. Encouraged by its success, I wrote and published four sequel novels: Sottopassaggio (2005), Good Thing / Bad Thing (2006), Better Than Easy (2009) and Sleight of Hand (2010) as well as a standalone novel, 13:55 Eastern Standard Time (2007).

My self published 2011 title The Case Of The Missing Boyfriend reached #1 in Amazon’s UK chart and gained me my first proper publishing contract with Corvus-Atlantic who also republished the entire 50 Reasons series and the sequel to The Case Of The Missing Boyfriend, The French House which sold more than 200,000 copies.

My 2012 novel The Half-Life Of Hannah, though mysteriously refused for publication by Corvus, again, once self published, reached number one and sold over 275,000 copies, and the paperback rights were subsequently purchased by Black and White Publishing Black and White are also publishing the Hannah sequel entitled Other Halves in both ebook and paperback, so I seem, finally, to be on a bit of a roll. Long may it last!

I also edit and contribute to the gay lit website, BIGfib.com

I currently spend half my time in Nice, and the other half in a cabin in the French Alps where I get bored enough to actually concentrate on writing. But whenever I can, I jump on a plane or a train to London, my favourite city in the world.

Author Links
My thoughts... 
I read an ecopy of this book as part of the Blog Tour organised by Fiction Addiction I had previously read The Half Life of Hannah and jumped at the chance to read Other Halves to find out what happened after the holiday in France ended and they all went home.

I finished the last book totally disliking Cliff - Hannah's husband and feeling sorry for Hannah, hoping that she would get her happy ending with James once everyone returned to England.

However, like real life nothing is ever as simple as it seems and all three struggle to come to terms with their new domestic arrangements.  Each one suffering their own 'demons' about their part in how they come to be in the situation they have ended up in.

The story is told from both Cliff and Hannah's perspective and Nick has created characters that are more complex than they first seem - I found Cliff to be softer in this book a more rounder, deeper character and Hannah has had her edges roughened so doesn't quite come across as the soft, gentle victim in this book.  As for James, for me he demonstrates characteristics that aren't always something he should be proud of - not forgetting he and Cliff are brothers too!

A truly, riveting read, demonstrating how relationships and children play a big part in your future - no matter what the circumstances a past life cannot and should not be completely erased. It's not always easy to close a chapter of your life and begin a new one with a completely clean page.

This book could easily be read in one sitting, a long afternoon or evening and could be read as a stand alone book but I feel the book is all the better if the reader, like I had, had read the Half Life of Hannah first.

A sign of a good book for me is when there are still questions that could be answered - Nick I feel could follow this story on and I personally would welcome a third - it would be nice to know what happens in the future to Cliff in particular as I went from disliking him totally in The Half Life of Hannah, to feeling real empathy for him in this book 'Other Halves'

I gave this book 4/5 stars

Giveaway open Internationally
a Rafflecopter giveaway